Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Addicted to quads?

I have another quad in my collection now..an ADS 400Q.  This is a purpose designed FPV bird, in an "H" style to allow for more room on the frame to include FPV goodies.  It also has a forward shelf for a GoPro camera.

Once again, I will be relying on readytoflyquads.com for the flight controller.  I am using the ProEz3.0, and the uBlox 6M GPS module.  Since this one will be for FPV, I will also be using the MinimOSD, which only needs a feed from one of the serial ports on the FC to provide me with all the info I need in a heads up display while flying.

2216-8 1250kv motors and 8" Gemfan full carbon fiber props, with SimonK flashed speedcontrols round out the basic setup for this machine.  I have yet to decide on what FPV gear to go with, though.  The rest of my gear is 1.2, but I am giving serious thought to going 5.8 on the quad, so I can fly tandem with some friends.  Also, if I go 1.2, then I will either need to run low pass filters on the video TX, or use something other than 2.4 for the RC link.

I am seriously considering remodeling the trailer to account for the changes in my hangar.  I still enjoy fixed wing aircraft quite a bit, but something about the multirotors is sucking me in.  I think it is the combination of the challange of setting up the flight controller just right, coupled with the design aspect of the frame, and the power system.  There is a fine line to walk in order to get all these things playing together well, and getting them to function correctly for the style of flying you intend to do with the craft, that I really enjoy.

With winter fast approaching, I do need to pull back a bit from flying and get the shop in order.  I have projects I need to finish, other than multirotors, and it would be nice to be able to get to the various workbenches again...right now they are covered with tools, parts, planes, all kinds of stuff..and I just know that I am going to find all kinds of small parts I have needed all summer when I finally clean up.  Plus, cleaning up would make Brandy happy..and keeping the wife happy is always a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment