Friday, October 25, 2013

Almost a month has passed, and allot has happened.  The Hexa went back over to Deaconeye, and has been flown a bit by those guys.  The consensus is it is just about ready to be pushed into service.

I have a couple more multi's in the collection.  My personal OPQ is doing great.  Set up with house reds and 9" props, on 1600mah 3s packs, it truly is an aerobatic monster.  I have the rates set pretty high, and the expo pretty low.  It is set up allot hotter than any of my other quads, and since we have proven you cannot break the frame, I have been using it to practice my aggressive flying.  Luckily, it can stand up to the abuse of my learning curve!

I built another Tricopter to showcase the 32 bit ESC's (ESC32) I got from  These things are amazing...I have never seen anything so smooth.  The switching frequency is pretty high, and as a result, the motors run smoother, and have more resolution..and punch!  The speed controls have their own 32 bit processor, and can run in a closed loop mode, which basically means they interpret a request from the flight controller as a direct RPM request, rather than a generic set point.  They attempt to maintain the requested RPM, within the limits of the settings you program.  This all means that you have even better, more stable control of your multirotor.

Did I mention you can completely program the ESC's?  Basically everything you can set with any other high end ESC you can set with these.  Current limiting, PWM start point, end point, all kinds of stuff..and they are reasonable as well, only 20 bucks.  You do have to solder on the stiffening cap as well as the RX connection, but that is child's play for any electric modeler.

Next up on the list of fun stuff, was a trip to HHAEFI.  It was an epic journey for sure, Nav and I headed down after work on the 16th, and drove all night, pulling in at 3:00am Thursday.  Our buddy PCPhil was kind enough to allow us to crash in his camper, to save us the trouble of putting up our respective tents at that hour.  Matter of fact, PCPhil was a most gracious host for the entire trip...allowing us to take over his campsite, and make ourselves at home.  We traveled light, with only what we could stuff in Nav's Forerunner.  We discussed taking my trailer, but the fuel costs would have doubled, and for that short of a duration, it wasn't deemed worthwhile.

Crash rolled in from Texas about noon on the 17th, and much fun was already underway.  Nav, Phil and I had already been flying quite a bit, as had all of the other ~120 pilots on hand for the event.  We hit up Hodges and looked around, walked the line a couple times, and then flew..and flew..and flew.  Well, I did, anyway.  Of course, I tend to fly allot anyway.  The best part was all the borrowed flights I got.  I got to try out some neat aircraft, get in some FPV flights with some cool equipment, and generally have a great time.  Much night flying, and hangar flying was accomplished, and we got to hang out with some of the listeners as well.  The "virtual campfire" gatherings were a blast!  All we needed was a campfire to make it better, LOL. Anyway, much fun was had, and I had a great time hanging out with old friends, as well as new ones.  

I am already looking forward to the next event, when we can all get together and commit aviation again!

No comments:

Post a Comment